Tuesday, February 2, 2010

An Intro

Welcome to Sports Doldrums, the sports blog brought to you by
two perpetually tortured fans. The goal of this blog will be to provide
you, the reader, with scathingly sarcastic and colorful insight from the
perspective of two diehard fans who unfailingly cling to the hope that
someday, against all odds, our teams will prevail. This blog, however,
will not be solely dedicated to the trials, and inevitable failures, of
our favorite teams. It will also be a grab bag of sorts, as a wide
range of teams and sports will be touched on.

A little bit about myself: My name is Doug and I am a recent
graduate of Auburn University. I was born in Cleveland, Ohio, but moved
out to Southern California as a toddler, and – for some bizarre reason –
have remained a staunch and tremendously loyal fan to the inept sports
scene that characterizes the city of my birth. I suppose I can blame
only my father. Whether he deserves the blame or not, I am nothing less
than a devout fan of the Indians, Browns and Cavaliers. My truly
formative years (Junior high, High school) were spent in St. Louis,
where I currently reside. Because of this, I am a casual fan of the
Cardinals, Blues and Rams. Despite my ties to St. Louis, when it comes
to professional sports, my primary focus will fall on the Cleveland
franchises. So be prepared to read plenty about LeBron, Grady and
Brady. And please, if you think I’m some fanatical raving lunatic,
challenge what I write. This blog, like most successful blogs, will
attempt to establish a strong and dynamic relationship between the two
of us and our readers. At this point, you may be wondering who
comprises the second half of the Sports Doldrums team. I’ll simply tell
you his name is Tim, he spent some time with me at Auburn, and he lives
in Memphis. I’ll let him tell you the rest.

Born in raised in the sports poor city of Memphis, Tennessee I spent my youth attaching myself to franchises like the short lived Memphis Mad Dogs, a Canadian Football League team that lasted for all of one year. From there I watched the Titans come into town for two years, only to leave for Nashville. I was then forced to witness the travesty that was the Memphis Maniax of the XFL. My sports life has been one of relative ambiguity. With no hometown team to tie myself to, I spent my childhood wandering the sports ocean searching for teams to call home. The Titans arrival in Tennessee helped ease my plight, giving me my first real sports pain. One fucking yard, Kevin Dyson - that’s all you needed. I also grew somewhat attached to the Boston Red Sox, mostly due to my youthful infatuation with Nomar Garciaparra (he played short stop and wore the number 5; two major qualifications in my book). The team, however, that has truly won my the entirety of my Memphis-blackened heart is the Memphis Grizzlies, an inept NBA franchise that has only tasted success for brief moments, followed by years of despair. I love sports - every aspect of them - but sometimes I need to vent over the things my teams do to me. That, in essence, is why I am here.

Anyways, Tim and I are excited about getting this thing going.
So if you’re out there reading this, don’t hesitate to stay a minute;
leave a comment. Let us know how we’re doing. After all, this blog is
for your entertainment. We hope you enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment